JNTU (Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University) was originally ‘The College of Engineering, Vizagpatnam’ at the time of its establishment in 1946. It is now a sprawling campus of 110 acres, green with mango trees in the fast developing Port city of Kakinada, East coast of peninsula India. Kakinada has a rich political literacy and cultural heritage passed on through generations This college became a constituent of the Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University w.e.f 02-10-1972 through an act of legislature along with other sister institutions under the control of the then Director of Technical Education, Government of Andhra Pradesh. Earlier, it was affiliated to Andhra University. In the year 2003 the college has become autonomous.
The College is governed by the rules and guidelines provided by the university from time to time. The Principal is the administrative and the academic Head of the College. He is assisted by the Vice-Principal and the College Academic Committee in academic matters and the Deputy Registrar and the office staff in administrative matters. The day-to-day activities of the college are carried out by budgetary allocation from the University fund.
The entire academic activity in the college is overseen by the highest body called College Academic Council, which has at least one academician of repute and an industrialist on its body along with senior Professors of the college. Also the entire administrative activity is overseen by the highest body called College Governing Council (CGC) headed by the Vice Chancellor of the University.
The college has made rapid strides since its formation and is playing a pivotal role in the technological advances of the region.
All the five engineering departments are provided with RCC roof buildings. Additional accommodation for Electronics and Telecommunications Engineering, Computer Science & Engineering and Electrical and Electronics Engineering departments is being provided through new buildings as annexes to the existing ones. Plans are afoot to accommodate teaching and non-teaching staff in newly constructed quarters in place of present 50 year old sheds.